Tips to Improve Business Productivity
Published by Kathryn Anda, PEPworldwide on 30 March, 2015
Improved business productivity is one of the most sought-after achievements in all businesses due to the positive impact it has on growth and both customer and employee satisfaction.
It takes a combination of strategies to improve business productivity so here are some useful tips that may help you:
Regular training for employees
Sometimes employees struggle with their jobs because they lack the necessary skills to perform the task at hand. Regular hands-on workshops and simple refresher causes can go a long way in helping employees complete jobs as quickly and as efficiently as possible.
Continuous staff training is essential because:
- The business environment is ever changing. Things such as market trends, technologies, consumer preferences and government regulations keep on changing and it’s only through continuous training that employees can keep up.
- It keeps things fresh. Training may not necessarily mean learning new skills,. Keeping the employees existing knowledge and skills up to date is just as important. It ensures that knowledge and skills previously acquired are brought back to the front of their minds.
- It helps employees to remain motivated and feel less neglected. The results of not training employees can be catastrophic and can ultimately lead to loss of morale, motivation and productivity. Giving your employees the opportunity to sharpen and acquire new skills that are of interest to them makes them feel more valued. It will help build loyalty, make teams more effective, improve professional efficiency and iron out weaknesses.
Use technology efficiently
Technology should help us improve productivity and efficiency, not hinder it. Email being the most preferred method of communication in the office may overwhelm staff and leave them struggling to manage their electronic work environment.
Your employees should be taught how to effectively handle incoming emails and how to optimise the use of electronic calendars to reduce time wastage and improve overall productivity in the workplace.
Use productivity diagnostic tools
You cannot address an issue effectively if you do not know your current position. It would be like getting directions to a destination without a start point; impossible. Business diagnostic tools help you pinpoint the area of concern and identify areas of improvement to maximise employee productivity. Productivity Diagnostic Tools will help you analyse:
- How your employees are spending their time
- Employee stress levels
- Major causes of interruptions
- The effectiveness of meetings.
This will help you get a clear picture of the current situation and from this you can map out a clear way forward.
Streamline Your Business
Streamlining your business will help standardise processes which will in effect build employee confidence and productivity during operations.
Some of the ways in which you can streamline your business include:
- Reviewing current processes and procedures to eliminate redundancies and update outdated policies that hinder efficient operation.
- Automating your business. Automation will help save on labour requirements, time and reduce errors.
- Collaborating both internally and externally. Do not reinvent the wheel every time you are introducing new processes. Collaborate within the company and outside in order to share knowledge and tap into other people’s experiences
This may seem like a no-brainer, but it’s more often than not overlooked. Proper filing and labelling can save your employees a lot of time looking for misplaced files and reports. Keep the workplace clean and tidy by encouraging your employees to avoid clutter in the office. Use cloud storage to keep documents and only print out documents that are essential.
Do you have any tips to improve business productivity? Comment on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/PEPworldwide/137639926282992